RE: CR key broken ?

On 17-Jan-99 Nidge Jones wrote:
> I have asked this before, but I still can't get to the bottom of it ?
>
> When I telnet into Debian 2.0 from a Terminal on the Ethernet, the CR
> key becomes broken in a few things and doesn't fucntion right.
>
> [snip]
>
> At the Linux prompt all is well, nothing appears to be wrong. However
> start something like JOE (editor) up and the CR doesn't insert when
> you hit it, it just wraps to the next line. For example, if you are
> half way through a line of text, and you hit CR, the second half of
> the line will drop to a new line , and all other lines drop down to
> make room, yes !
>
> But not here, if I do such an action, the text will just drop ontop of
> the line below, making editing impossible.
> [snip]

I'm not finding it easy to understand what's going on from your
description, but if I understand aright then:

In case A: you press return in the middle of a line, the line breaks, the
second half and all below drop a line, and the second half begins at the
left of the screen.

In case B: you press return in the middle of a line, the line breaks, the
second half and all below drop a line, and the second half begins
vertically below where it was before.

If that's the case, then in case A your screen display is executing a
CR-LF combination, while in the second case it is executing a LF only.

Quite where this arises is anyone's guess, since the relationships between
keyboard input, file contents, and screen display depend on a variety of
translations carried out internally.

Normally, for keyboard input to a text file in any editor, the CR key
inserts a LF into the file (the standard UNIX end-of-line delimiter).

Normally, when a text file with LF EOL delimiters is output to screen, the
LF is translated into a CR-LF pair.

So case A looks normal, and case B looks like a failure to translate
LF->CR-LF on output. This is possibly an stty problem: try giving the
command

   stty -a

in the relevant terminal, and compare the output with what "man stty"
says.

God luck,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>