Re: default fonts in NS 4.05 unreadable

On Wed, Jan 13, 1999 at 12:29:46AM -0800, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> Dave Thayer wrote:
> >
> > It was a pretty uneventful installation, but read /usr/doc/xfstt/FAQ.gz.
> > In particular there are some details regarding choosing font size for
> > netscape. What I did, in a nutshell, was
> >
> >  -Set up symlinks from /dosc/windows/fonts to
> >   /usr/share/fonts/truetype/winfonts
> >
> >  -Start up the font server: /etc/init.d/xfstt start
> >
> >  -Add to the Files section of /etc/X11/XF86Config:
> >   FontPath        "unix/:7101"
> >
> >  -Restart X and set up netscape as per the FAQ.
>
> Thanks Dave!
>
> It worked nicely. One last Q though...when I start xfstt at the console,
> it responds with:
>
>    Cannot open TCPIP port 7101
>    Better try another port!
>
> Is this normal? It works fine, I'm just curious as to the significance
> of that message.

I think that means that there's already a copy running. Try "ps ax", pstree,
or "pidof xfstt" to find out for sure.

If you use "/etc/init.d/xfstt start" to start xfstt you won't get those
messages because it uses start-stop-daemon(8) which won't start a daemon
which is already running.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer