default fonts in NS 4.05 unreadable

On two different hamm computers with different video cards and monitors I
installed Netscape 4.05 with the install script.

On both of these systems I can hardly read the web pages because the default
fonts are too small. On the same computers and monitors, a Windows Netscape
displays fine. Why?

I already increased the font size by 2 but now the fonts are too large and
look ugly. What can I do about it and why do I have to do it at all? Why does
it not work "out of the box"?