Re: default fonts in NS 4.05 unreadable

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 09:37:49PM -0800, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> Dave Thayer wrote:
> >
> > In Windows you have TrueType fonts which display much more nicely than
> > X fonts, especially on a lower res screen. I installed xfstt from slink
> > which vastly improved Netscape on my 640x480 laptop screen.
> >

> I decided to try a fresh look for X and install xfstt. Is there anything
> that needs to be done after installing it? I made a link to my windows
> fonts, and I can preview them when I run the tst.sh file, but what am I
> not doing to make fonts available for netscape, etc?

It was a pretty uneventful installation, but read /usr/doc/xfstt/FAQ.gz.
In particular there are some details regarding choosing font size for
netscape. What I did, in a nutshell, was

 -Set up symlinks from /dosc/windows/fonts to
  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/winfonts

 -Start up the font server: /etc/init.d/xfstt start

 -Add to the Files section of /etc/X11/XF86Config:
  FontPath        "unix/:7101"

 -Restart X and set up netscape as per the FAQ.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA