Re: tar and the braindead man

Ok Kenneth,
   I must be missing something here, other than my mind of course.  This is
the requirment:
I have a tape with a tar file on it, lets call it thefile.tar .  I need to
make two copies of that file, back on two other tapes.  So I will have
three tapes with three identical copies of this tar file.
   I got thefile.tar off of the original tape using

tar -xv ./thefile.tar -C /usr/thedirectorystore

   The tar file is now on the hard drive.  Now I want to put it back onto
tape, gee, simple minded me thought

tar -cv ./thefile.tar -C /usr/thedirectorystore

and bingo, but that doesn't seems to be happening.  Any ideas on how I can
complete this task?

Thanks again,

Anthony