Re: tar and the braindead man

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Anthony Landreneau wrote:

> Ok Kenneth,
>    I must be missing something here, other than my mind of course.  This is
> the requirment:
> I have a tape with a tar file on it, lets call it thefile.tar .  I need to
> make two copies of that file, back on two other tapes.  So I will have
> three tapes with three identical copies of this tar file.

Okay, so you dump the data to disk (tar xv <tarball>), and retar it to
tape (tar cvf <tar-dir> <tape dev>).  But it looks like the data you got
off tape is a tarred archive -- so someone probably created the tarball,
and cat'd it onto tape -- or I could be wrong.  ;)
To cat a file to tape, try;
cat <tarball> > <tapedevice>
... which you can now do to create the other 2 tapes.