tar and the braindead man

Close, but no cigar.

syntax is:

tar -cvf /dev/tapedevice /usr/thedirectory.

To make a full backup I did:

tar -cvf /dev/st0 / --exclude /dev --exclude /proc

(my tape drive is a scsi rdat on /dev/st0)  This command backed up
everything, except the dev and proc directories.  (I had some BAD
things happen trying to access the devices as files, and you don't
need to backup the /proc directory as it does NOT exist on the disk.)
Don't leave your cd rom mounted for this or it will get backed up
also, why waste 650MB of tape for something that can't be trashed?!

Greetings,
        Got what I thought was a simple problem. I have a 2GB DAT tape
drive, a
directory that I want to backup to that tape drive.  Seems simple
enough,
but I can't seem to get it to work. I thought the command was:
tar -cvf thetarfile.tar /usr/thedirectory

But it isn't working.  Now I have created a tar file on the hard drive,
and
thought it would be just as easy to move the file to tape, but I can't
figure that out either.  Tried mounting the tape drive and the machine
mocks me openly.  Any and all help would be apprciated!