Re: I lost my window managers!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 09:47:15AM -0500, Mark Panzer wrote:
> Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 09:03:23AM -0500, Mark Panzer wrote:
> > > Here's what happened,
> > >
> > > I guess I was  a little jumpy and I started typing in one of the X-terms
> > > that opens by default before window-maker started.  Then it [X-win]
> > > decided not to load a window-manager.  No problem I thought, I rebooted
> > > and tried again, still no window-manager.  I looked in my
> > > window-managers file and all of them are listed, how come it doesn't
> > > start any??  Thanks for your help..
> >
> > hmmm wmaker is your default?
> > try commenting out wmaker.
> > If that works...try this:
> > move the GNUstep directory in your home drive to a new name.
> > then try...wmaker will recreate its standard GNUstep dir...
> > I found that I many times set somethin in wmaker and next thing I knew
> > wmaker wouldn't run anymore...in fact...all I got
> > was twm (which afaik isn't even listed in my window-managers file...
> > I hate twm)
> > maybe this will fix it? give it a try
> > course...I went back to fvwm2 last nnight...I find I prefer
> > fvwm2 with tkdesk to wmaker
> >
> Sorry that didn't work.  It would be really nice to have X start a
> window manager for me again.  I've also had problems trying to get out
> of X (because the WM didn't 'hook' into it correctly.  When I use the
> really quit command in FVWM2 I just loose the window manager X doesn't
> shut-down!)  I also didn't know if you noticed that I have NO window
> manager when I start-up X.

ok so then you can still run fvwm2 by hand after X starts...
thats good.

can you setup a new fresh user account and try that? if that works then it
is some configuration in your home dir...
blast away any .xsession or such

if not...chekc ou tthe global configs... /etc/X11/Xsession
that is where the window-manager is loaded

> > > PS - windows look kinda neat without a window manager sometimes (except
> > > you can move them)
> >
> > I sorta agree...it is different...hmmm
> > could take out fvwm2 sources...strip em down totally...
> > take out all the code for most functions... get rid of all window
> > decorations... no titlebar...no fram...
> > just a window manager with 1 function..it lets you move windows
> > hmmmm
> > -Steve
> Just think of all those pixles you'll save (especially when I can only
> do 800X600).

I couldn't live without my 1024x768 32bpp

:)

> Mark
>

> --

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"