Re: I lost my window managers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Panzer wrote:

> Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 09:03:23AM -0500, Mark Panzer wrote:
> > > Here's what happened,
> > >
> > > I guess I was  a little jumpy and I started typing in one of the X-terms
> > > that opens by default before window-maker started.  Then it [X-win]
> > > decided not to load a window-manager.  No problem I thought, I rebooted
> > > and tried again, still no window-manager.  I looked in my
> > > window-managers file and all of them are listed, how come it doesn't
> > > start any??  Thanks for your help..
> >
> > hmmm wmaker is your default?
> > try commenting out wmaker.
> > If that works...try this:
> > move the GNUstep directory in your home drive to a new name.
> > then try...wmaker will recreate its standard GNUstep dir...
> > I found that I many times set somethin in wmaker and next thing I knew
> > wmaker wouldn't run anymore...in fact...all I got
> > was twm (which afaik isn't even listed in my window-managers file...
> > I hate twm)
> > maybe this will fix it? give it a try
> > course...I went back to fvwm2 last nnight...I find I prefer
> > fvwm2 with tkdesk to wmaker
> >
> Sorry that didn't work.  It would be really nice to have X start a
> window manager for me again.  I've also had problems trying to get out
> of X (because the WM didn't 'hook' into it correctly.  When I use the
> really quit command in FVWM2 I just loose the window manager X doesn't
> shut-down!)  I also didn't know if you noticed that I have NO window
> manager when I start-up X.

Do you have a file "/etc/X11/Xsession"?
it should say that if all else fails then use twm. Its sounds like this
worked before. Also, what is in your "~/.xinitrc" and/or "~/.xsession"
files? (if you have them). If you want FVWM2 then try putting "exec
/usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2" in one of these files (I think they need to be
shell scripts, so put "#!/bin/sh" at the start). Don't use an "&", that
way when you quit fvwm2, X will also quit. But if you have the fvwm2
package installed then "/etc/X11/Xsession" should find it in the
window-managers file.
I just had the same trouble with afterstep not using the window-managers
file and resorted to using the "~/.xsession" file method.
Mark.