Re: I lost my window managers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 09:03:23AM -0500, Mark Panzer wrote:
> > Here's what happened,
> >
> > I guess I was  a little jumpy and I started typing in one of the X-terms
> > that opens by default before window-maker started.  Then it [X-win]
> > decided not to load a window-manager.  No problem I thought, I rebooted
> > and tried again, still no window-manager.  I looked in my
> > window-managers file and all of them are listed, how come it doesn't
> > start any??  Thanks for your help..
>
> hmmm wmaker is your default?
> try commenting out wmaker.
> If that works...try this:
> move the GNUstep directory in your home drive to a new name.
> then try...wmaker will recreate its standard GNUstep dir...
> I found that I many times set somethin in wmaker and next thing I knew
> wmaker wouldn't run anymore...in fact...all I got
> was twm (which afaik isn't even listed in my window-managers file...
> I hate twm)
> maybe this will fix it? give it a try
> course...I went back to fvwm2 last nnight...I find I prefer
> fvwm2 with tkdesk to wmaker

Sorry that didn't work.  It would be really nice to have X start a
window manager for me again.  I've also had problems trying to get out
of X (because the WM didn't 'hook' into it correctly.  When I use the
really quit command in FVWM2 I just loose the window manager X doesn't
shut-down!)  I also didn't know if you noticed that I have NO window
manager when I start-up X.

> > PS - windows look kinda neat without a window manager sometimes (except
> > you can move them)
>
> I sorta agree...it is different...hmmm
> could take out fvwm2 sources...strip em down totally...
> take out all the code for most functions... get rid of all window
> decorations... no titlebar...no fram...
> just a window manager with 1 function..it lets you move windows
> hmmmm
> -Steve
Just think of all those pixles you'll save (especially when I can only
do 800X600).

Mark