Re: Mouse movement weirdness with latest X packages

*-George Bonser (20 Jul)
| On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Ken Lauffenburger wrote:
| >
| > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| > Also, on a related note, what is the purpose of changing the TERM variable
| > to "xterm-debian" ?  I'm planning on changing it back on my system unless
| > there is some benefit that I haven't discovered yet.  The problem I have is
| > when I establish an ssh session to my Sun machine at work, it doesn't
| > understand "xterm-debian" and I have to set the TERM variable to "xterm" to
| > get any useful work done.
| >
| > Thanks.
|
| The terminfo entry for xterm-debian can be copied directly to a Solaris
| machine without modification.
|
| Copy /etc/terminfo/x/xterm-debian on the linux box to
| /usr/share/lib/terminfo/x/xterm-debian on the Solaris box or have your
| sysadmin do it if you do not have root on that machine. Also, you can cut
| and paste the termcap entry in /etc/termcap for xterm-debian to
| /etc/termcap on the Solaris box.

I think this is a horrible solution.  Why does Debian xterm have to make
itself unique and incompatible with the rest of the world?  Do Redhat,
Slackware, Suse, Caldera, etc. have their own xterm variants?  I think
this kind of separation just makes non-Linux users more alienated from
the Linux community.  There has to be a better solution.

--
Brian