Re: memory usage and Netscape

Rick Macdonald, MISSING_MAILBOX_TERMINATOR@.SYNTAX-ERROR wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Mark Panzer wrote:
>
> > Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > > You mentioned Java applets.
> > >
> > > What if you fire up Netscape, and don't look at any web pages other than
> > > whatever your startup home page is, and just leave it for an hour. Does
> > > it grow and die? Maybe it's the pages you always visit. Java, animated
> > > gifs, etc.
>
> > if I have 4 Netscape windows open and I just let them open up the
> > Debian homepage and don't go to any other sites there is no problem.
> > Then they only use up about 13Meg of Ram and don't even use any swap.
>
> > I do believe that when java is loaded my memory usage
> > jumps enormously.  After java has been running for a while it seems that
> > its "garbage collection" feature which frees up memory doesn't work
> > because it starts to gobble up memory at the rate of 10Kbytes per
> > SECOND!!!
>
> OK, you seemed to have arrived at the conclusion that Java is at fault.
>
> How about you find one Java page that will do this. Fire up a fresh
> Netscape, open one browser window, go to that one page, and let it sit
> there untouched and prove that it is gobbling memory.
>
> Then, tell us what that page is. Then, a whole bunch of us can try it out.
> I can try it on other platforms too, for curiosity (IRIX, Solaris).
>
> Although nobody seems to have seen this problem, I bet nobody doubts that
> a page with Java applets could do this. Java in Linux Netscape has been
> getting better, but still does weird things.

I just started doing this here is the URL that I went to:

www.netbuyer.com

I noticed the memory usage jump by about 5Meg when navigator was started
and after just staring at the page for 5 min I noticed the memory usage
was once again starting to increase.  Thanks for helping me out here.

Mark Panzer