Re: unstable networking

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Jieyao wrote:

: Hi,
:
: I wonder if anyone experiences the following.
:
: The system reboots ok. ifconfig and route are runand network set up. If you put
: a line in the boot up file with the command 'ifconfig' and 'route' it shows that
: eth0 is up and the routing is set up.
: But when you log in, the route is lost. If you run the command 'route' it will
: stuck there as if looking forever for something that is not there.
: If I run 'ifconfig eth0 down' and then the file /etc/init.d/network everything is back
: to normal.

How do you know the route is "lost"?  Typing `route' will result in a
slew of DNS lookups - that could be your delay.  Try `route -n'.
(`netstat -rn' does the same thing and has the added benefit of being in
a user's default path :)

If `route -n' doesn't show anything, then yes, you've got a problem.

BTW, your emailer tries to use unusally long lines.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104