Re: memory usage and Netscape

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Mark Panzer wrote:

> Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > You mentioned Java applets.
> >
> > What if you fire up Netscape, and don't look at any web pages other than
> > whatever your startup home page is, and just leave it for an hour. Does
> > it grow and die? Maybe it's the pages you always visit. Java, animated
> > gifs, etc.

> if I have 4 Netscape windows open and I just let them open up the
> Debian homepage and don't go to any other sites there is no problem.
> Then they only use up about 13Meg of Ram and don't even use any swap.

> I do believe that when java is loaded my memory usage
> jumps enormously.  After java has been running for a while it seems that
> its "garbage collection" feature which frees up memory doesn't work
> because it starts to gobble up memory at the rate of 10Kbytes per
> SECOND!!!

OK, you seemed to have arrived at the conclusion that Java is at fault.

How about you find one Java page that will do this. Fire up a fresh
Netscape, open one browser window, go to that one page, and let it sit
there untouched and prove that it is gobbling memory.

Then, tell us what that page is. Then, a whole bunch of us can try it out.
I can try it on other platforms too, for curiosity (IRIX, Solaris).

Although nobody seems to have seen this problem, I bet nobody doubts that
a page with Java applets could do this. Java in Linux Netscape has been
getting better, but still does weird things.

...RickM...