Re: upgrading to hamm from pre-bo

Kendrick Myatt wrote:

> I have one box that is still Debian 1.2, can I upgrade to hamm
> directly, or should I go to bo first?  Unfortunately this is not a
> test machine, so I can't afford to have it crashed.  What's the best
> route for something like this?

	My personal opinion is not to upgrade, but to do a clean reinstall using
Debian 2.0 install disks.  Backup inportant stuff (like /home and config
files of /etc) to another partition or to tape, for example, then wipe the
root partition and install 'clean'.  I say this because you mention you need
long term stability and because I had a bizarre problem when I tried using a
recent kernel (2.0.34) after having upgraded 'in-place' from 1.3.1 to 2.0.
Apparently, this problem was rare, as no one else was able to help.  I
finally did what I suggested above, and this solved the problem.  After a
clean install you can copy back your stuff in /home and use your backup of
the /etc files to edit the new /etc files (don't just copy your old /etc to
the new one as this will create problems).  A number of things changed
between 1.3.1 and 2.0 especially in the /etc dir.  Of course the odds are
real good that you wouldn't have the kind of problem I did, and otherwise
the upgrade from 1.3.1 to 2.0 was relatively painless for me.  Just a FWIW
suggestion.

> Which brings me to another question... what do I use in dselect for
> the locations of the hamm distro?  Apparently what I chose was
> incorrect, and all my new packages were "not found," then you can
> imagine what happened to the system after it uninstalled the old
> packages :(

	Using ftp.debian.org as the example, for the ftp method of dselect, set the
ftp dir to '/debian/' and the distribution dirs to dists/hamm/main +
dists/hamm/contrib + dists/hamm/non-free.

--
Ed