Re: X11 not installing on debian 2.0

Brian Morgan wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting x11 to work properly in Debian 2.0.  I did a
> custom install of Debian, and selected all available options, including
> xwindows. When I type xdm, or startx, I get the following message:
>
> can't load library 'libxmu.so.6'
>
> When I go to the x11 directory, and try the man page, I get the
> following error:
>
> can't load library 'libc.so.5'
>
> I can't find packages for either of these libraries in dselect, while
> connecting to ftp.debian.org.   Is there something that I'm doing wrong,
> or a way to configure xwindows that I should be doing?
>
> Is there another resource that I should be reading to figure this kind
> of thing all out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Morgan

	'libXmu.so.6' belongs to the 'xlib6g' package.  Make sure 'xlib6g' is
installed and not the older 'xlib6' package.  'xlib6g' is the version for
libc6; 'xlib6' is for libc5.  Hamm is using the newer libc6.
	The man command comes from the 'man-db' package.  If you correctly
installed from hamm, then the version of the man-db for hamm
(man-db-2.3.10-65) should not require libc.so.5 (libc5).  Somehow you
haven't got the updated packages for hamm.
	Are you installing Deb 2.0 using the ftp method of dselect?  In that case
make sure you are installing from the hamm distribution.  On ftp.debian.org
the hamm dir is '/debian/dists/hamm', i.e. tell dselect to install from
dists/hamm/main + dists/hamm/contrib + dists/hamm/non-free.
	If the correct packages are installed, try running 'ldconfig' to see if
that clears up the problem with not finding the right libs.  Since I never
tried keeping both libc5 and libc6 on my system simultaneously, I never had
a problem similar to this.  In fact, 'ldconfig' is run automatically when
necessary by the packages as you install them.

--
Ed