upgrading to hamm from pre-bo

I have one box that is still Debian 1.2, can I upgrade to hamm
directly, or should I go to bo first?  Unfortunately this is not a
test machine, so I can't afford to have it crashed.  What's the best
route for something like this?

Which brings me to another question... what do I use in dselect for
the locations of the hamm distro?  Apparently what I chose was
incorrect, and all my new packages were "not found," then you can
imagine what happened to the system after it uninstalled the old
packages :(

I think I will start with just a base install of 1.3 on my box at
home... will that work with the update script on the website, or do I
need additional packages/libs/etc?

TIA for any help as always!

Regards,

Kendrick