PCI cards not found...

Okay, I'm not very experienced with linux... Here's my problem

I have a Creative graphics blaster exxtreme, and a voodoo2.  trying to run Xwindows.
I found a XServer for the permedia2 chip on the exxtreme that specifically supports it, however
when running startx I get ' NO GLINT/PERMEDIA CARDS FOUND'.... I also have no entry
for /dev/pci... should I? I have onboard PCI IDE controller and such, as well as the two video cards.
how do I get PCI support?

I'm very frustrated at this point.... please help!   Thanks!