Re: auctex not happening

***** NY => Noel Yap

NY> [A courtesy copy has also been sent to the auctex package
NY> maintainer.]

Thank you, I'm not subscribed to debian-user at this moment.

The Debian AUC TeX package currently works the way it does because
Debian is a multi-user operating system.

A system administrator may want to make it available to her users
without forcing /all of them/ to use it by default: every user could
decide it by himself, adding `(require 'tex-site)' to his "~/.emacs"
if he wants to.

Should the system administrator want to have it loaded by default for
all her users, she would only have to add `(require 'tex-site)' to the
system-wide "/etc/emacs/site-start.el".

The whole story is documented in "/usr/doc/auctex/README.Debian".

>> AFAIK it is not. AUCTeX is separate package for Emacs, and there is
>> "native"(?) tex-mode in Emacs. In other words, if someone wants to
>> use AuCTeX, she/he should put require tex-site in .emacs.

Correct: I think it would be very misleading if Joe User, completely
unaware of what auctex is, should find his familiar Emacs native
tex-mode keybindings completely overloaded by auctex ones, as it would
happen if auctex were made the default on his site.

NY> Mark Phillips wrote:
>> The fact that someone is installing AUCTeX would suggest to me that
>> they probably want "require tex-site" in their .emacs.  So either
>> this should be done automatically, or probably even better, the
>> configure script should prompt the user, asking them if they want
>> this done.

This would work only on mono-user system, which would unnecessarily
limit Debian flexibility.  Also, we try and not prompt the user in
configure script too much.

NY> I agree.  Further spelunking in the bowels of my system leads me
NY> to believe that the Debian way would be to put (require
NY> 'tex-site.el) in /etc/emacs/site-start.el or to have the package
NY> itself put a symlink to tex-site.el in /etc/emacs/site-start.d/.
NY> This is the default behavior of tm and vm (i.e., they install

The file "/etc/emacs/site-start.el" is now left at complete disposal
of the system administrator; no package can automatically add anything
to it.

The second way would be the correct one, but I choose not to load
automatically auctex because it overloads the native tex-mode
keybindings.

Regards,

--
Davide G. M. Salvetti - IW5DZC [JN53fr] - <http://salve.home.ml.org/>