Re: Xwin permission?

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Mikhali Mifsud wrote:
> >
> > I dont understand, modify what file? Xinit? X? thanks.
> >
> > ---Niclas Anderberg <d95na@efd.lth.se> wrote:

> > > You make sure the owner of the file is root, then you set the suid bit:
> > >
> > > (as root):
> > >
> > > chmod +s <filename>
> > >
> > > This goes for the server you are linking the X symbolic link to, not the
> > > link itself.
> > >
> > > /Nic
> > >

> 	This probably isn't correct.  The README.Debian file for the xbase package
> says that Debian isn't using symlinks for /usr/X11R6/bin/X.  This file on my
> system (hamm; XFree86 3.2.2; xbase_3.2.2.1-1.deb) is a true program; not a
> symlink.  So that file '/usr/X11R6/bin/X' is the file that gets the suid,
> i.e., "chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/X".

You are probably right. I use all the distributions on different machines,
so i tend to mix them up (however debian is my fav :). However i remember
deleting that file by mistake to install Accelerated X. And when i didn't
want that old crappy version of bloatware anymore i got Xfree working with
just a symlink. Since it worked i never took the time to look inside the
file to see what it contained.. But it couldn't have been essential.
That was an old.. not that old, maybe 3.0 version of debian.

/Nic