/dev/sga and /dev/dsp no longer accessable

I have a fully upgraded hamm system.  I upgrade with dselect almost daily.
I recently tried to use my scanner under GIMP and it said:

Failed to open device 'umax:/dev/scanner' invalid argument.

A day or so later I tried to play a RealAudio feed, but it said 'Cannot
open audio device'.  Just as a test, I tried xanim on a .wav file, and it
said 'Can't open /dev/dsp device'.

All of these things worked a week or so ago, but I've upgraded using
dselect more than once in that time so I'm afraid I don't know which
packages were installed that resulted in this problem.  I do have a hard
drive image tarball dated May 13th that I unpacked to another partition,
and everything works there.  Don't know if that date will help at all.  It
can be assumed that the May 13th image was up to date within a day or two.

I could just update the May 13th image package by package, but that would
be a bit tedious, as you can imagine.  If anyone has any suggestions, that
would be great, otherwise, that's what I'll do and at least then I'll know
which packages breaks access to these devices.

Cheers,
Matt

P.S.  I did scan the May and June list archives in hopes of finding
someone else with this problem, but didn't see anything.  My apologies if
it's been discussed and I missed it.