Re: copying root partition

On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Rick Macdonald wrote:

: Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
:
: > :      When you copy an entire file system with cp -ax it skips any
: > : separate file systems, and doesn't even copy the mount points.  So
: > : after copying, you have to check the directories that contained the
: > : mount points, and create them in the new system.  I prefer to unmount
: > : as many separate files systems as possible before running cp -ax.
:
: I assume that on the new root partition, you have to manually create the
: /proc directory (mount point) and from there the kernel will fill it
: with whatever is required? Or will the kernel even create /proc?

Uh, first, the part you quoted was written by Bob Hilliard, not me.  So
it's completely unclear to whom you are addressing your question.

If your question is "After copying my current root partition to a new
partition mounted on /mnt, using `cd /; find . -xdev -print | cpio -padm
/mnt' do I have to manually create /proc, etc." the answer is "No, you
do not."  All mount points are created using this method.  The
underlying filesystems are not copied, which is what you want.  That's
why I feel this method is superior, even if it means more typing than
`cp -ax' (and you can omit the "-print" from the `find' options, but my
first UNIX experience was on SCO, and it's become a habit.)

You do of course have to edit /mnt/etc/fstab, optionally run lilo if you
know how to do that when the new root is not mounted on root, make the
new root partition active, etc.  The root filesystem is the most
difficult one to move, and there are some tricks you can use to make it
easier.  The other filesystems are a lot easier to move, and generally
just need an entry added in /etc/fstab before rebooting (if indeed you
even need to reboot)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104