Re: Quake Segfaults

On Sat, 06 Jun, 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
>
> I was told a fix for this was an ldconfig . It worked for me, and
> everything is fine now... except.. (who knew that was coming?)
>
> I am still having trouble with sound in squake and quake2.
>
> I dont know where the problem is, but it is as if some sounds are played
> on /dev/audio and some on /dev/dsp , and most of them die.. the best way
> to explain it is when you try to cat a wav file to /dev/audio. Generally
> it is all static. that is what it is like in the game.

You can't cat a wav file to /dev/audio, only an au file wav is in the wrong
format.

The problem with quake is that you only have your sound card configured for
8bit and quake is doing 16 bit sound hence the static. I expect you have a
``soundblaster compatible'' that is not soundblaster 16 compatible.

--
Edward Betts  http://www.hairnet.demon.co.uk/