Re: Xwin permission?

Mikhali Mifsud wrote:

> I dont understand, modify what file? Xinit? X? thanks.
>
> ---Niclas Anderberg <d95na@efd.lth.se> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 5 Jun 1998, Mikhali Mifsud wrote:
> >
> > > How do I allow normal users run xwin?  Thanks.
> >
> > You make sure the owner of the file is root, then you set the suid bit:
> >
> > (as root):
> >
> > chmod +s <filename>
> >
> > This goes for the server you are linking the X symbolic link to, not the
> > link itself.
> >
> > /Nic

	This probably isn't correct.  The README.Debian file for the xbase package
says that Debian isn't using symlinks for /usr/X11R6/bin/X.  This file on my
system (hamm; XFree86 3.2.2; xbase_3.2.2.1-1.deb) is a true program; not a
symlink.  So that file '/usr/X11R6/bin/X' is the file that gets the suid,
i.e., "chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/X".

--
Ed