Re: Quake Segfaults

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Jaakko Niemi wrote:

> >> After my fun experience upgrading to hamm, everything has been goin well,
> >> but I have had one problem. After upgrading svgalib, squake seg faults
> >> when started. (so does quake2) Is there a problem with svgalib?
> >>
> >> svgalib-bin  1.2.13-3.2
> >> svgalibg1    1.2.13-3.2
> >> svgalib1     1.2.13-3.2
> >>
> >> quake2       3.14a-2
> >> squake       1.06-5
> >> quake-lib-stub 1.3
>
>  I had the same thing. It just segfaulted at the start. In my todo list is to
>  find out against which to file a bug, either svgalib or quake. Haven't
>  yet find out which does take the blame. Hmmf. about time to do
>  something about this.
>
>  BTW. This happened with gl and svga, not with x rendering.
>  Seems to be related to mouse / keyb handling, but not sure.
>  I solved this by compiling svgalib from the sources.

I was told a fix for this was an ldconfig . It worked for me, and
everything is fine now... except.. (who knew that was coming?)

I am still having trouble with sound in squake and quake2.

I dont know where the problem is, but it is as if some sounds are played
on /dev/audio and some on /dev/dsp , and most of them die.. the best way
to explain it is when you try to cat a wav file to /dev/audio. Generally
it is all static. that is what it is like in the game.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)