Re: Setup w/large hard drives

On Sun, May 10, 1998 at 11:52:45AM -0400, Randy Edwards wrote:
>    Then I took the tactic of one huge, multi-gigabyte partition.  LILO refused to
> install onto that.
>
>    There is one variable here that I haven't mentioned.  This system (SCSI using
> an Adaptec 2920 controller) had a SCSI hard drive as SCSI ID #6, a ZIP drive as
> SCSI ID #5, and a SCSI CD-ROM as SCSI ID #4.  In my mind, Linux should have seen
> the hard drive as /dev/sda, correct?  In this case, Linux kept putting the ZIP
> drive as /dev/sda and the hard drive as /dev/sdb.  Is this the source of my
> problems?  If so, how can one cure that (the Zip drive only allows itself to be
> set as SCSI ID #5 or #6)?
The Adaptec BIOS will try to boot (i.e. load lilo) from the lowest id SCSI
disk it finds. Try to set your hard drive to id #0.

Also put
  linear
in /etc/lilo.conf

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *