Re: Setup w/large hard drives

On Sat, May 09, 1998 at 09:02:16PM -0400, Randy Edwards wrote:
>    I tried setting up bo on a friend's hard drive today -- actually,
> two different hard drives, one IDE and one SCSI, both 3.2 gig drives
> which have more than 1024 cylinders.
What is the drive the computer boots from? Is ist selectable in the BIOS
setup? If not you need to place the master boot record on the one the BIOS
tries to boot from.

>    My first attempt was to create a 64 meg primary partition which was
> to be root, then a swap partition, then other partitions.  I did this
> with Debian's regular installation using cfdisk.  However, when it
> came time to make a file system and/or mount the root partition, the
> system would not list out the first partition.
This is strange. Did you try the latest bootdisks? This has however nothing
to do with your lilo problem.

>    Could someone give me a tutorial on how one should deal with large
> hard drives with Linux?
This should not be a problem anymore provided that
a) the drive does support LBA addressing (all but a few older drives
will, and yours certainly as IDE drives of that capacity didn't came up much
more than a year ago)
b) the BIOS does support LBA adressing (and I have yet to see a Pentium
Mainboard that does not)

If these conditions are fulfilled please forget all what is written about
large harddrives and lilo and simply put

linear

in /etc/lilo.conf

(In case you really have an old mainboard, try to get a BIOS upgrade first.
If that is not possible, you really need to read the lilo manual carefully,
but no short tutorial will cover this)

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *