Re: Setup w/large hard drives

>    Could someone give me a tutorial on how one should deal with large
> hard drives with Linux?  I could've sworn I was on the right track

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that you can do
the following, if you don't want to split your disk up into more
partitions than necessary:

Device     Filesystem  Size  Mountpoint   Contains
/dev/sda1  ext2        5mb   /kernels     kernels only
/dev/sda2  ext2        8gb   /            Everything
/dev/sda3  swap        100mb none         Swap space

lilo.conf then looks something like
-------------
boot=/dev/sda
root=/dev/sda2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
delay=50
read-only
image=/kernels/vmlinuz
label=linux
image=/kernels/vmlinuz-33
label=linux-33

It's my guess that this would work, though I haven't tried it; I'm
planning on doing so the next time I set up a machine with a single
large drive, so let me know if it doesn't ;)

You'd have to make sure you copied your kernels into the right place,
of course.  But it saves you the pain of having a bunch of partitions
that never turn out to be the right size.

--
Pete Harlan
harlan@pointofchoice.com