Re: Setup w/large hard drives

> Why do you need a separate partition to boot from?
> I have an 800mb root partition (which is more than 1024 cylinders,
> obviously) and it boots from that just fine, and that's on /dev/hdb
> too.

    This is what I thought too!  As I said, I initially tried a 64 meg /
partition thinking I could keep /boot and other things in that space, and then
have /usr /home /var /tmp, etc., on different partitions just for flexibility.
But with that situation the install program would not give me the option to
select the / partition (the first, primary partition on the first hard drive).

   Then I took the tactic of one huge, multi-gigabyte partition.  LILO refused to
install onto that.

   There is one variable here that I haven't mentioned.  This system (SCSI using
an Adaptec 2920 controller) had a SCSI hard drive as SCSI ID #6, a ZIP drive as
SCSI ID #5, and a SCSI CD-ROM as SCSI ID #4.  In my mind, Linux should have seen
the hard drive as /dev/sda, correct?  In this case, Linux kept putting the ZIP
drive as /dev/sda and the hard drive as /dev/sdb.  Is this the source of my
problems?  If so, how can one cure that (the Zip drive only allows itself to be
set as SCSI ID #5 or #6)?

--
 Regards,                |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org
 http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html