Re: StarOffice 4.0 *.deb

After all the discussion I tried to install staroffice 4 as well.
I have a slightly out-of-date hamm. I tried installing the net
installation all went ok. Then I tried installing it on my directory
as a user. The first thing to note is that there is a huge duplication of
files. The net installlation takes up about 110 Mb, the user about 88 Mb
obviously muh is common between the two. As I did not know that and did
not expect that I tried installing it on my home dir which has its own 500
Mb partition. As it took too much space I decided to delete all the stuff
in /home/gk205/Office40 and start again by symlinking the /home dir to
some other partition to avoid space problems. I deleteed everythinh and
tried user installation again . It did not let me saying it was already
installed. OK fair enought I delete everything from ./usre/local
and reinstall the net installation from what I though was scratch. All is
ok but when I try the
user install it says it is already installed.
I solved the problem by installing it as another user, copy all user files
to my home staroofice dir , uninstalll staroffice as a user throught
the installation program and reinstall. It was pretty convoluted. Anyway
it now works and loooks quite good. Much better that staroffice 3.1

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Randy Edwards wrote:

> > staroffice 4 on my hamm system just segv's (installed with its own
> > installer)
>
>    After getting some replies on this thread, I went ahead and dove in too.  I'm
> running the latest hamm and extracted the tarball into /tmp.  I then read the
> read.me, looked at the license, and said, "what the heck, I'll give it a shot."
>
>    I thought that /net thingie installation sounded neat, so I did a "./setup
> /net" as root.  Fine, it installed okay.  I then logged out and logged back in as
> "redwards" (non-root).  I ran StarOffice and it segv'ed.  Hmm, I thought, maybe
> it needs a setup for each user.  So still as redwards I ran
> /usr/local/Office4/bin/setup (which is where I put it) and voila!, it runs fine.
> Give it a try...
>
> --
>  Regards,                |Debian GNU/__     o http://www.debian.org
>  .                       |          / /    __  _  _  _  _ __  __
>  (redwards@together.net) |        /____/ /_/ /_/\/ /___/  /_/\_\
>  Teacher/Tech. Coord.    |    ...because lockups are for convicts...
>                          |What is or why Linux?  Click on the below:
>  http://www8.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html
>

> --

George Kapetanios
Churchill College