mail and mailer questions

I currently use Netscape 4.04 to read my -mail and get it off of my
ISPs mailserver. It works very well..sorts my mail (I never realized
when I subscribed
to both this list non-digest and the debian-devel list...I would get 241
e-mails
in 1 day!..sorting is a must!!!)
Anyway I read that 5.0 wil not have the mail client (being the free
version...
which is of course what I would prefer to use)
In anticipation of that fact...I am interested in looking into a new
mail setup
and I am looking for some information and recomendations
1) mail reader
I am looking for at least 1 good mail client. A nice X interface is
strongly prefered
but not required (sometimes its nice to have buttons since
I am usually in X). Ideally I would like 2 clients, one for use in X and
one for use
on a  charicter mode console.
It woul dbe best if these could share the same mailbox folder
(I know that most programs use a common format (same as netscapes?? I
think)
but usually have differnt default mail dir names...,.like they want thir
own)
I would prefer that this client would make for easy use of PGP (I don't
have a key
yet but...I am hopeing to eventually look into becomming a package
maintaner
for debian and I know that is a requirement)
2) I have had alot of troubles with configuring mail services under
debian
I use a dialup to an ISP, so my connection is not always up so I am not
sure
what the proper configuration is, I have more than once set it up wrong
and had it send messages forever to elbonia (and since my recent
re-format and redo after a major crash..
I havn't even tried)
what are the recomendations for my needs?
I would assume something like fetchmail and procmail (which I need to
setup anyway
for another project....)
any help is apreciated
-Steve