FTP slow in one direction across PPP link

I have a fairly recent hamm installation, and  I connect up to my work
using pppd 2.3.2 via a (Chase Iolan)  communications server.  I've set
my domain name to  be the  same  as the  local domain  at work, so  my
machine appears much like any remote node on my work subnet.

I've been seeing some  very bad FTP xfer rates  recently, but  only in
one direction.   For example, I  transferred a  1756274 byte binary in
591 secs (2.9 Kbytes/sec) when xferring to work (i.e. "put"), but when
I try  to xfer data  the other way (i.e.  "get"), it slows to a crawl.
The  transfer is characterised by a  few-second-long burst of activity
every minute  or so (with no  PPP  traffic between bursts),  until the
peer becomes bored and resets the connection.

Questions:

1/. Is  there anything about   the hamm S/W  that might  contribute to
this?

2/.  Could my permissions/authorisations (or  that of my work network)
mean  that  xfers in one  direction require   more authentication than
those that occur in the other?

3/. Where is the best place for me to start investigating this?

Many thanks for your help,

--
Phil