Re: xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Gabor Kontur wrote:

> Is there a way to influence the typematic delay of the keyboard? Characters
>  start to duplicate themselves when i keep a key  pressed longer than about
> one fifth of a second.

#!/bin/sh

# mS
DELAY=500

# cps
REPEAT=15

/sbin/kbdrate -r $REPEAT -d $DELAY

exit 0

Put a file like that into /etc/rc.boot

> When i start ae in an xterm window i cannot use the arrow keys to scroll.

Annoying, isn't it. Just use a VC instead.

> the script /etc/init.d/gpm produced the following message at startup:
> gpm -m help -t ps2 -r help/usr/sbin/gpm: help: No such file or directory
> My mouse is indeed PS2 and at startup i get this message as well:
> PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected. driver installed
> The mouse works fine with X  so i simply scratched the useless call to
> /etc/init.d/gpm.

Overcleaning. So, there was an error message. At best, if you make
changes to these sorts of configuration files, you'll make a lot of work
for yourself when you upgrade, because the upgrade scripts will detect
these changes and think the files must be preserved. At worst, you could
break the system.

> The question is: how do i adjust the responsiveness of the mouse which is
> rather slow at the moment ( meaning that the distances the mouse travels on
> my mouse pad are too large).

My /etc/gpm.conf has (through gpmconfig)

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=30
type=ps2
append="-R"

The -R means, of course, that I have

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    Device      "/dev/gpmdata"

in /etc/X11/XF86Config

> So i reverted to using twm for a while but now i use fvwm2.
> With that i have one major problem: At the initial login (as root) it does
> not execute the profile scripts as for a login shell but rather another
> script (probably the one that ends with a rc).

What gets called, and when, is quite complicated. I stick most stuff in
.bachrc and call it from .bash_profile, others use links to achieve
similar ends.

> When i start  xterm (which is not started automatically) i can login just
> fine as another user but not as root. It says "incorrect login" or
> something to that effect.
> What might be the cause of this problem ?

I'm not quite sure when you mean that you have to login, but two thoughts:
does your root password contain any funny characters that might be
misplaced because of your keyboard selection; I've yet to find how to
correct typos when typing a password into su.

> I thought i´d mention though that i had a crash. Now if this was windows
> 95, i´d say that´s absolutely normal, but this really worries me.  It
> started with one of my terminals freezing up ( it was displaying a manual
> page).

If and when a VC freezes on me, I just switch to another VC and kill the
first. init will respawn it.

> So i decided to shut down quickly but i wasn´t quick enough because
> the terminal i ran shutdown from froze up during shutdown .

Well, it would, wouldn't it? I don't know the order in which shutdown
works, but I assume things must stop working!

> Finally i had to press the reset button.

The best way to shut down in an orderly fashion is Ctrl-Alt-Del. About the
only thing you lose is updating .bash_history for logged-in sessions.

> I wasn´t really doing anything unusual, except maybe restarting xdm many
> times over (to figure out how it works)  (with twm) .

Well X can freeze things, particularly if it captures all your keystrokes
etc. though some people use joystick tricks. I just log in through the
network (or an old vt220 at home) and kill X. Very little actually stops
linux.

Cheers,

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151