Re: mail and mailer questions

Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> writes:

> I am interested in looking into a new mail setup and I am looking
> for some information and recomendations

My highest recommendation is Gnus.  It's a fantastic mail program that
runs inside emacs, and handles news, so most of what you learn for
mail is applicable for news or for more general emacs editing
purposes.  It probably has more features than you could (would want
to) ever use.

Gnus easily handles threading your mail and news, and splitting your
incoming mail into different groups (mailboxes) based on whatever
criteria you like.  You'd use fetchmail to download your mail to your
machine and then Gnus to deal with it, and I'd recommend using the
Gnus nnmail backend which stores each message as a separate file, and
is faster than the other backends.

There are of course other good mail programs.  I used to use mh (and
exmh) before I switched to Gnus.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>