Re: mail and mailer questions

Stephen Carpenter wrote:
  >I currently use Netscape 4.04 to read my -mail and get it off of my
  >ISPs mailserver. It works very well..sorts my mail (I never realized
  >when I subscribed
  >to both this list non-digest and the debian-devel list...I would get 241
  >e-mails
  >in 1 day!..sorting is a must!!!)

Is that all?

  >Anyway I read that 5.0 wil not have the mail client (being the free
  >version...
  >which is of course what I would prefer to use)
  >In anticipation of that fact...I am interested in looking into a new
  >mail setup
  >and I am looking for some information and recomendations
  >1) mail reader
  >I am looking for at least 1 good mail client. A nice X interface is
  >strongly prefered
  >but not required (sometimes its nice to have buttons since
  >I am usually in X). Ideally I would like 2 clients, one for use in X and
  >one for use
  >on a  charicter mode console.
  >It woul dbe best if these could share the same mailbox folder
  >(I know that most programs use a common format (same as netscapes?? I
  >think)
  >but usually have differnt default mail dir names...,.like they want thir
  >own)
  >I would prefer that this client would make for easy use of PGP (I don't
  >have a key
  >yet but...I am hopeing to eventually look into becomming a package
  >maintaner
  >for debian and I know that is a requirement)
  >2) I have had alot of troubles with configuring mail services under
  >debian
  >I use a dialup to an ISP, so my connection is not always up so I am not
  >sure
  >what the proper configuration is, I have more than once set it up wrong
  >and had it send messages forever to elbonia (and since my recent
  >re-format and redo after a major crash..
  >I havn't even tried)
  >what are the recomendations for my needs?
  >I would assume something like fetchmail and procmail (which I need to
  >setup anyway
  >for another project....)
  >any help is apreciated

You describe my own situation.

I use diald with isdnutils ippp for contacting my ISP.

Mail collection: fetchmail to download from my ISP and pass mail to sendmail

Mail delivery: sendmail, calling procmail to distribute mail from my single
ISP mail-box to multiple users on this system.

I also use procmail in my own user account to put mail into separate MH
folders before I even see it.

Mail reader: exmh, which is a Tk/Tcl front end to MH; it includes PGP
support and manages multiple folders, including nested folders.  It also
supports X-face pictures and can notify you of new mail with visual and
audible signals.  MH can be used in character windows or outside X.  It has
the further benefit (to my mind) that it makes each messge a separate file,
so that it is easy to find and handle messages with non-mail commands.
For example, if someone has mailed a patch:
  `patch -p1 <~/Mail/postgresql/hackers/28'

If you would like to see any configuration files, just ask...