Re: xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

Hi David

Thank-you and the others for your adept advice and your extra time.
But, as you probably already know:
answers unfortunately have a tendency of producing new questions.

David Wright wrote:
>My /etc/gpm.conf has (through gpmconfig)
>
>device=/dev/psaux
>responsiveness=30
>type=ps2
>append="-R"
>
>The -R means, of course, that I have
>
>Section "Pointer"
>    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
>    Device      "/dev/gpmdata"
>
>in /etc/X11/XF86Config

I have your setup now. Works fine except that the responsiveness has not
changed in X.
I set it to 70 and in text mode ( on a VC) it really moves fast but i
noticed no change in X
( Still too slow zapping those pesty xbills ) .
Also, when X starts it leaves the VC from where it was started with a
screenfull of text.
The last line says now:
"Warning: /dev/gpmdata unable to get status of mouse fd (Invalid argument)
"
Is that normal ?

David Wright wrote:
>I'm not quite sure when you mean that you have to login, but two thoughts:
>does your root password contain any funny characters that might be
>misplaced because of your keyboard selection; I've yet to find how to
>correct typos when typing a password into su.

I stopped fooling around with xdm and first i will try to get the system
working with startx,
 (as Joost Kooij had suggested it).
The only noticeable difference is that there is no xconsole icon now.
So i have an empty fvwm2 desktop and when i start xterm, i am still logged
in as root
but i can see from the prompt right away that the script   /root/.bashrc
was executed.
When i try to remedy the situation by starting a login bash that will run
my regular profile scripts, i cannot login as root:  Invalid (or incorrect)
login. The password is strictly alphanumeric and i couldn´t possibly
misspell it a dozen times. Also, CAPS LOCK is not activated ( or otherwise
i would login as ROOT and not as root ).
I can login as another user just fine.

Thank-you again

Gabor Kontur
KGabor@compuserve.com