xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

While everyone is eager to get the latest versions of the unstable system,
i would be truly happy
to get my stable version of debian (1.3.1) up and running.
My first obstacle was that xdm was not starting but luckily  Mike Miller
encountered the same thing. He wrote on Jan.24:

>I've recently reinstalled Debian 1.3 (on a system with a new
>disk) and found that after installing xbase and xserver-svga, xdm
>wouldn't start.  After looking about a bit, I found that
>/etc/init.d/xdm was empty and that the start up script was in
>/etc/init.d/xdm.dpkg-dist.  >
>Can anyone help me sort out where I went wrong?  Or is this a
>feature that I don't understand?

What i simply did was copy the file  /etc/init.d/xdm.dpkg-dist  to
/etc/init.d/xdm.
Is that all there is to it ?  Is this script complete as it is now?

Alas, this is only the first of many questions.
The 2nd is:
Is there a way to influence the typematic delay of the keyboard? Characters
 start to duplicate themselves when i keep a key  pressed longer than about
one fifth of a second.

3rd question:
I did a silly thing, which is  "cat /proc/kcore"
( but then they say you have to try everything once in life ).
After a while all the characters on that tty became gibberish and i found
no way of fixing the problem but i am sure the solution is simple even
though unknown to me.  (rebooting solved it but there must be a nicer way
of doing it)

4th question:
When i start ae in an xterm window i cannot use the arrow keys to scroll.
They work fine with other programs though.

5th question:
Does cdwrite or a similar program support drives with an ATAPI interface ?

6th question:
Mouse support
The file /etc/gpm.conf has the following entries:
device=help
responsiveness=help
type=ps2
append=""

the script /etc/init.d/gpm produced the following message at startup:
gpm -m help -t ps2 -r help/usr/sbin/gpm: help: No such file or directory
My mouse is indeed PS2 and at startup i get this message as well:
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected. driver installed
The mouse works fine with X  so i simply scratched the useless call to
/etc/init.d/gpm.
The question is: how do i adjust the responsiveness of the mouse which is
rather slow at the moment ( meaning that the distances the mouse travels on
my mouse pad are too large).

7th question:
Window Managers
First i tried kde but it proved unreliable so i had it removed with
dselect.
That process left me without a Xsession file so i renamed
/etc/X11/Xsession.tmp  to Xsession.
(While kde was installed,  /etc/X11/Xsession was a symlink to
/etc/X11/Xsession.kde)
I certainly hope this is the only messup the kde (de)installation scripts
caused.

So i reverted to using twm for a while but now i use fvwm2.
With that i have one major problem: At the initial login (as root) it does
not execute the profile scripts as for a login shell but rather another
script (probably the one that ends with a rc).
When i start  xterm (which is not started automatically) i can login just
fine as another user but not as root. It says "incorrect login" or
something to that effect.
What might be the cause of this problem ?

That´s it. No more questions!

I thought i´d mention though that i had a crash. Now if this was windows
95, i´d say that´s absolutely normal, but this really worries me.  It
started with one of my terminals freezing up ( it was displaying a manual
page). So i decided to shut down quickly but i wasn´t quick enough because
the terminal i ran shutdown from froze up during shutdown .
Trying to run shutdown from another terminal didn´t work: it realized that
it was running already.
So i tried shutdown -c 0 but that process froze as well. I had a look at
those shutdown processes with ps and their status was D.
Finally i had to press the reset button.
I wasn´t really doing anything unusual, except maybe restarting xdm many
times over (to figure out how it works)  (with twm) .

I beg for forgiveness that this message has turned out this long. I won´t
comit it again (i hope).

thank-you all

Gabor Kontur
KGabor@compuserve.com