Re: xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

Gabor Kontur <KGabor@compuserve.com> writes:

> >I've recently reinstalled Debian 1.3 (on a system with a new
> >disk) and found that after installing xbase and xserver-svga, xdm
> >wouldn't start.  After looking about a bit, I found that
> >/etc/init.d/xdm was empty and that the start up script was in
> >/etc/init.d/xdm.dpkg-dist.  >
> >Can anyone help me sort out where I went wrong?  Or is this a
> >feature that I don't understand?
>
> What i simply did was copy the file  /etc/init.d/xdm.dpkg-dist  to
> /etc/init.d/xdm.
> Is that all there is to it ?  Is this script complete as it is now?

Yes, that should be enough to do. You might want to have a look at the
links /etc/rc*.d/[SKsk]*xdm and at the /usr/X11/config (?) file. Where
you might have to add a start-xdm or something like this.

> 3rd question:
> I did a silly thing, which is  "cat /proc/kcore"
> ( but then they say you have to try everything once in life ).
> After a while all the characters on that tty became gibberish and i found
> no way of fixing the problem but i am sure the solution is simple even
> though unknown to me.  (rebooting solved it but there must be a nicer way
> of doing it)

Type "<enter>reset<enter>" while ignoring what you see. This should
make it more readable. If you still got problems, you can switch to
another console <Alt-f*>, log in there, ignoring the other terminal.

> 4th question:
> When i start ae in an xterm window i cannot use the arrow keys to scroll.
> They work fine with other programs though.

I think this should be reported as a bug to ae and sure will be solved
in the upcoming debian 2.0.

> 5th question:
> Does cdwrite or a similar program support drives with an ATAPI interface ?

Newest versions do AFAIK.

> 6th question:
> Mouse support
> The file /etc/gpm.conf has the following entries:
> device=help
> responsiveness=help
> type=ps2
> append=""

gpm is useful for Cut & Waste on consoles.
You should run gpmconfig and change the default values to whatever is
appropriate. Running gpm might solve the responsiveness problem in X,
if you use the "redistribution" option of gpm.

HTH,

Jens

P.S.: I can´t give any help on the other (deleted) questions.
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37