Re: more or less Newbies?

Please shorten your lines...

On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 12:03:59AM -0800, lucier@cow-net.com wrote:
> ** Reply to note from Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu> Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:37:00 -0500 (EST)
>
> Makes a lot of sense to me.......leave the twiddling to the more experienced
> user who has a pretty good idea what's
> what.......for rookie newbies, make things as straight forward as possible;
> having default access to the two
> pgup/pgdn keys that are on practically any i386 based system keyboard,
> fits that description, IMHO.

Well, the point is that Linux is not only for 102 keyboards, but for a lot
of keyboards and terminals. Linux (and therefore Debian) is not only for
i386 systems, buut also for Amiga, m68k, alpha, sparc, etc... so you can't
make assumptions about the hardware. You have to rely on the termcap info if
you need extended features. Maybe they are there (quite often there are),
but if they are not there, "less" fails and "more" not.

> > > I don't mean to be rude here, but quite honestly this sounds like something that may have
> > > applied years ago when running resource and hardware limited systems.  I'll repeat my original
>
> > Sure.  But engineering with these anchient ideas in mind is largely what
> > makes linux so stable and reliable.
>
> I'd really hate to think of adding these two keys (or the arrow scroll keys) to a
> utilitly such as more had the possibility of upsetting linux's stability. <grin>

We only try to be perfect ;)

> > > page up/down and backscroll. "   If it takes a second floppy disk to round out a decent set of
> > > emergency programs then what's the big deal about that?  In fact, IMHO, the benefits gained by
>
> > You can only put one in the drive at a time,  unfortunately. :)
> >
> And can't take it out again to run another program on a second disk?  This is LINUX we're talking about, right??
> <big grin while playing devils advocate>

You can't, because the root file system is on the disk with all the
libraries etc... (well, you can if you create a RAM drive and copy the root
disk to the RAM drive and remount, but it is not trivial).

This is LINUX we're talking about.

PS: Debian 2.0 comes out in ca. four weeks. But you have missed the power
of dpkg if you prefer a fresh install over an upgrade...