Re: It's all so confusing, so should I get a CD Distribution?

G'day

>1) Would you recommend a distribution disk for a newbie?
>
>2) Are there different ones to get? <what are the differences?>
>
>3) I know this is a Debian list, but do you recommend Debian for
>user-friendliness? What are its advantages/disadv. ? I read an article about
>Red Hat being good, but it's expensive (£50 = $85)

Well, I have now installed both RedHat 4.2 and Debian 1.3, and found them
both pretty easy to install (actually, debian was a bit of a pain, but only
because I was using an old laptop with a small HD and no CD-ROM!), and if I
had to install one again, i think i'd probably go with debian...

Redhat is pretty easy to install, but it seems to me (even tho I've only
been using Linux for a few months) that the guts of Debian is a little
easier to get a hand on than RedHat... RedHat has some nice X-Windows
configuration tools, but using them you never really learn what's going on,
and changing something by hand then becomes quite difficuly...

>4) Can I dual-boot Windows NT and Debian?

Yes, you certainly can... My system boots between RedHat, Win95 and WinNT4.
There is actually a HOWTO that describes how to add Linux to the NT boot
loader, which it pretty cool :)

NTFS support in Linux is still a little shakey (seems to work, but i
wouldn't want to bet important data on it)

YMMV, but I tended to find that Linux was easist to set up on a disk by
itself (that's if you have a HD to spare...) but lots of ppl seem to be
using dual-boot systems, so I guess it can't be too hard!

Anyway, hope that helped a little...

damon

========
Damon Muller (damon@lenore.empire.net.au)
Web Page:   www.sub.net.au/~tr      It's not a sense of humor. It's
ICQ UIN:    2920281                 a sense of irony disguised as one.
PGP Key ID: 0x232C09E1                   - Bruce Sterling