Re: It's all so confusing, so should I get a CD Distribution?

> OK, I'm finding all this Linux thing really difficult because I'm using it
> on my home computer and have to go to my mother's college to download
> things, and I'm a total newbie <no! I hate that word. I'm a Brit!> so I
> don't have a clue when it comes to recompiling the Kernel to put NTFS
> compatibility on, and installing X Window etc. Therefore, I am considering
> buying a distribution.
>
> 1) Would you recommend a distribution disk for a newbie?
I Think a newbie (and also others with out fast and handy internet connection)
should have a CD. Take a look at www.debian.org. Some commercial companies
that I recall selling CDs are www.chaepbytes.com, www.lsl.com. I think that
those CD cost about $20 or less, mostly for overseas shipment.

> 2) Are there different ones to get? <what are the differences?>
Yes. The differences are the addition to the "standard" Linux software. For
example, There might be an "office" software for Linux, or an integrated clone
of Motif, or a book (www.linuxpress.com), to name only some possibilities.

> 3) I know this is a Debian list, but do you recommend Debian for
> user-friendliness? What are its advantages/disadv. ? I read an article about
> Red Hat being good, but it's expensive (£50 = $85)
I would recommend Debian for user-friendliness. The fact that a package tells
you what its dependencies and if they are fullfiled seems to me very user
freindly. And the new deity are said to overcome the difficult sides of
dselect.
By the way, I think that an official Red Hat can be bought for $40 or even
$20, without shipment. It may be that the mentioned $85 includes more then a
bare Red Hat distribution.

> 4) Can I dual-boot Windows NT and Debian?
I believe you can althgough I never tried to.