It's all so confusing, so should I get a CD Distribution?

OK, I'm finding all this Linux thing really difficult because I'm using it
on my home computer and have to go to my mother's college to download
things, and I'm a total newbie <no! I hate that word. I'm a Brit!> so I
don't have a clue when it comes to recompiling the Kernel to put NTFS
compatibility on, and installing X Window etc. Therefore, I am considering
buying a distribution.

1) Would you recommend a distribution disk for a newbie?

2) Are there different ones to get? <what are the differences?>

3) I know this is a Debian list, but do you recommend Debian for
user-friendliness? What are its advantages/disadv. ? I read an article about
Red Hat being good, but it's expensive (£50 = $85)

4) Can I dual-boot Windows NT and Debian?

Thanks.