Re: It's all so confusing, so should I get a CD Distribution?

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Tristan Day <that's you!> wrote:

> OK, I'm finding all this Linux thing really difficult because I'm using it
> on my home computer and have to go to my mother's college to download
> things, and I'm a total newbie <no! I hate that word. I'm a Brit!> so I
> don't have a clue when it comes to recompiling the Kernel to put NTFS
> compatibility on, and installing X Window etc. Therefore, I am considering
> buying a distribution.

You should still compile a kernel with a distribution.  I kernel
compiled for your system will be better than the generic ones provided
to load an boot an installation.  Besides, if you don't compile your own,
you probably won't be able to use your sound card, and stuff not provided
with an installation kernel.

> 1) Would you recommend a distribution disk for a newbie?

If you want the 'easy' way out, buy a hard drive that already has
linux installed on it.  Otherwise, bite the bullet, read the docs,
and ask questions to the list.

> 2) Are there different ones to get? <what are the differences?>
>
> 3) I know this is a Debian list, but do you recommend Debian for
> user-friendliness? What are its advantages/disadv. ? I read an article about
> Red Hat being good, but it's expensive (£50 = $85)

I think we are a friendly to users.

Debian has better program dependancy/conflict checks than Red-Hat.
Red-Hat has better commercial software support.  You can download
bot of them for free, or find them on disks cheap, but if you want
some of the commercial software/support, thats what jacks up the price
on red-hat.

> 4) Can I dual-boot Windows NT and Debian?

Yes.

Mark