Re: Household proxy

G'day,

>I have researched a few different distributions and found Debian to be
>the best-documented of the group, and that's important to me. My mates
>and I seek only to inplement a household proxy for concurrent connection
>to the 'Net at the moment, but we will doubtless want to do more in the
>future. Does anyone know a good way under Debian to set up a  proxy that
>2 windogs clients and a macinslosh client can share locally? Please
>reply to ntmstr@mindspring.com

I have found the easiest way to do this is to use IP masquerading, and use
a non-internet subnet (I tend to like 10.0.0.0). Set up your linux box with
the modem, assign it an IP something like 10.0.0.1 and set up IP masq, then
use it as a gateway for the rest of you windoze machine...

I wont go into detail here how to do it, but the IP Masq (mini-)HOWTO is
very easy to follow... I had it up and running in about 30 mins (not
including recompiling IP Masq support into the kernel

Alternatively you could use a proxy server like squid, but IMHO IP Masq is
much sexier, and lets you do a lot more stuff over your network...

Hope that helps,

damon

========
Damon Muller (damon@lenore.empire.net.au)
Web Page:   www.sub.net.au/~tr      It's not a sense of humor. It's
ICQ UIN:    2920281                 a sense of irony disguised as one.
PGP Key ID: 0x232C09E1                   - Bruce Sterling