Re: laser printers and linux

On Tue, Dec 30, 1997 at 01:40:57PM +0000, David Stern wrote:

> Unfortunately, you have a windoze GDI printer, which means some
> hardware functions are emulated in software to "more closely integrate
> with" (be controlled by) windoze.  The one I saw said so right on the
> box.

I was afraid of that.  I saw the windoze logo on the box but didn't look
closely enough.  I've seen a ton of those that said "compatible", which
really meant, roughly speaking, "made for the intel architecture".  Since
the article I read said the 860 worked with other OS's I never got close
enough to see that the windoze logo didn't say compatible, but "designed
for".[sob]  Thank goodness I can take it back.

So how about the HP 6L.  I've heard that it will work quite handily by
emulating a 4L.  Does anyone know what features of the 6L I'll be losing
by having it emulate a 4L ?

Thanks,

Gerald Crimp