Re: laser printers and linux

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:33:35 CST, "Jens B. Jorgensen" wrote:
> G., Crimp@freenet.victoria.bc.ca wrote:
> >
> > Seems to be a lot of questions about printers in the last week.  I might as
> > well get in mine.  NEC SuperScript 860.  Will it work or not.  I bought it
> > because a magazine review said it worked with OS's other than Windows (and
> > cheap and fast and generally highly recommended).  I now have this sinking
> > feeling that it won't.  The manual says that it "differs from other printer
> > in that it is driven directly by the CPU of your computer..."  This sounds
> > suspiciously like what the Hardware-HOWTO says to avoid -- equipment that
> > has had its brains taken out and uses Windows driven software to do the job

Unfortunately, you have a windoze GDI printer, which means some
hardware functions are emulated in software to "more closely integrate
with" (be controlled by) windoze.  The one I saw said so right on the
box.

The upshot is I contacted NEC back in September and they told me it was
only supported in windoze.

Try the comp.os.linux.hardware usenet group.  I think I heard there
that a Brother printer was nicely priced.  There were discussions about
other printers there too.

--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu