Re: laser printers and linux

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 09:53:50 PST, "G. Crimp" wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 1997 at 01:40:57PM +0000, David Stern wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, you have a windoze GDI printer, which means some
> > hardware functions are emulated in software to "more closely integrate
> > with" (be controlled by) windoze.  The one I saw said so right on the
> > box.
> >

> I was afraid of that.  I saw the windoze logo on the box but didn't look
> closely enough.  I've seen a ton of those that said "compatible", which
> really meant, roughly speaking, "made for the intel architecture".  Since
> the article I read said the 860 worked with other OS's I never got close
> enough to see that the windoze logo didn't say compatible, but "designed
> for".[sob]  Thank goodness I can take it back.

Like Hamish said, some go both ways (GDI and host based), so the symbol
on the box isn't proof positive of exclusive GDI, however in this case
I confirmed with NEC that it was.  It is a nice printer, otherwise.

> So how about the HP 6L.  I've heard that it will work quite handily by
> emulating a 4L.  Does anyone know what features of the 6L I'll be losing
> by having it emulate a 4L ?

I've heard the 6L works, but for the price I'm not impressed.  It's OK,
and it saves on space, and it's somewhat fast, but the reviews I read
said it had paper handling problems and the output didn't measure up to
what I would expect.  (It kinda looks funny, too! :-)

That's why I mentioned the Brother, which I'd heard is a pretty good
buy.  I spent a little more on a 6MP.  But, if your budget is limited,
check out that linux hardware group on usenet (comp.os.linux.hardware)
.  I think you'll be glad you did.  I saw a number of active threads
regarding different printers last time I was there.

--
David Stern

kotsya@u.washington.edu
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~kotsya/