Re: laser printers and linux

G., Crimp@freenet.victoria.bc.ca wrote:

> Seems to be a lot of questions about printers in the last week.  I might as
> well get in mine.  NEC SuperScript 860.  Will it work or not.  I bought it
> because a magazine review said it worked with OS's other than Windows (and
> cheap and fast and generally highly recommended).  I now have this sinking
> feeling that it won't.  The manual says that it "differs from other printers
> in that it is driven directly by the CPU of your computer..."  This sounds
> suspiciously like what the Hardware-HOWTO says to avoid -- equipment that
> has had its brains taken out and uses Windows driven software to do the job.

Ah, sounds like the early Sun SparcPrinter. It was simply a raster device.
The manual for it said that if you needed faster performance you could "simply"
upgrade the server! I don't believe that particular incarnation any longer
exists. Take heart though, in the case of Linux this is not necessarily
a bad thing. If you're printing stuff from ghostscript (and not using
pass-through fonts) everything is essentially being rasterized anyway.
Now, this doesn't mean that anyone's working on a driver for it.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com