Re: cu connects to PnP modem ok, but no response for AT

On Wed, Nov 26, 1997 at 02:31:48PM +0500, Igor Grobman wrote:
> > # cu --speed 115200 --line /dev/ttyS1
> > Connected
> > [here I type "at&f", which is not echoed]
> > cu: write:  I/O error
> > Disconnected
> > #
>
> Looks like your modem is not really detected by linux.  The "connected"
> message from cu only means that it was able to access /dev/ttyS1 device, but
> the fact that your commands are not echoed means your modem is not detected.
> Most pnp modems need isapnptools to work, unless there is a way to get it back
> into "legacy" mode. Install isapnptools package, and take a look at
> /usr/doc/isapnptools/INSTALL.

Could also be several things, like echo is disabled (favourite of
Windows) (ATE1 to enable it), IRQ conflicts, etc. If the BIOS
set up the PnP card, it could well be an IRQ conflict because
the BIOS has absolutely no idea what IRQs the legacy hardware is using
unless you've configured it correctly.

hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.