Re: cu connects to PnP modem ok, but no response for AT

> Earlier, I reported that:
>
> # cu --speed 115200 ---line /dev/ttyS1
> cu:  open (/dev/ttyS1): Permission denied
> cu:  /dev/ttyS1:  Line in use
>
> To fix this, I did:
>
> # vigr
> [added my user name to the 'dialout' group]
> # newgrp dialout
>
> Then:
>
> # cu --speed 115200 --line /dev/ttyS1
> Connected
> [here I type "at&f", which is not echoed]
> cu: write:  I/O error
> Disconnected
> #

Looks like your modem is not really detected by linux.  The "connected"
message from cu only means that it was able to access /dev/ttyS1 device, but
the fact that your commands are not echoed means your modem is not detected.
Most pnp modems need isapnptools to work, unless there is a way to get it back
into "legacy" mode. Install isapnptools package, and take a look at
/usr/doc/isapnptools/INSTALL.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com